When the Harris County Public Library began in 1921, County Librarian Lucy Fuller connected with local schools, businesses, communities, and small-town governments to create library stations to serve Harris County residents. Over the years, HCPL operated bookmobile routes, established independent branches, and formed partnerships with the City of Houston and the Lone Star College system, finding new ways to connect with the community and provide access to the library's resources.
Using data from annual reports, branch histories, scrapbooks, etc., the map below represents some of the 200+ locations served by HCPL from 1921 to 2020. Click on any icon on the map to connect to items in the HCPL Digital Archive. Or view a lesson plan for 7th-grade students that uses the map to trace a service point over time.